27 December 2010

Joyeux Noel et Bonne Année

Well, Christmas has come and went. And having no Christmas decorations or Christmas tree or presents, ore really much of any tradition, it did not really feel like Christmas around here. I spent 1 night last week making Christmas trees out of green construction paper, and that was the best I could do - especially since I am now in this apartment - staying in someone else's room - by myself. So far it has not been too lonely, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that it was Christmas and there were lots of events going on.


But let me start off with what happened this week for me. It was a short work week - the office was 'closed' starting from Thursday - I still went in though. Better than working from home by myself. At least there is some sort of human interaction.


However, I realised shortly into it that it is going to be very difficult for me to do my job this week. We are 'closed' through the 2nd now, and much of the work I need to do, I need other people around for. Well, at least now I am able to throw out my arm and say "Hey! I am available! Give me something to do!"


And in the meantime, socializing and celebrating Christmas has been the task at hand. We had a Christmas party on the rooftop on Christmas eve for all the expats still in town - about 30 of us. And it was a success. I somehow ended up on the planning committee, organising decorations and food set up. Also went grocery shopping with others as well. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work. All the leftover food is now left at my apartment - I don't know what to do with it all! It's going to go bad!


But anyway, we celebrated Christmas in typical expat style - lots of dancing and beer. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but had moments of loneliness and missing my CA family and my London family. Had to come downstairs to make some Skype calls to the bf - nothing says Merry Christmas like having someone wake you up in the middle of the night to tell you to get on Skype! haha. :P


But the night ended late, and I had all these grandiose plans to make pancakes for a small group of friends here on Christmas am, but that didn't happen. Oh well. Think it had a lot to do with skyping the fam, doing some of our traditions through Skype - like reading the Christmas story - and also skyping the London fam. They were having a massive meal at my old house for 17 of them! I got passed around and told everyone I missed them. :(


I went with a few friends here to a local pool on Christmas day - it didn't work out very well though because it was late afternoon by the time we got there and it was actually quite cool. Still no tan on my arms. Darn. But afterwards was Christmas dinner at another NGOs house. And let me tell you - this felt like Christmas. They had all the traditional - turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, and the best cranberry sauce I have ever had! And again, in true expat style, we ended the night at a nightclub dancing away. Well, we didn't stay too late this time.


Christmas here didn't really feel like it though, as I said at the beginning. It almost feels like you go through the motions because its what you are told to do. Honestly, if we hadn't had the parties, I would have probably completely forgotten about it. Loneliness does set in, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I am not staying at a house of my own and I am here by myself.


All I can say is that I am excited for this work week. Being productive is the best way to make the time go by.


I hope your Christmases were excellent and filled with lots of close family and friends. That truly is the way to spend the day. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie;
    I know I am just one of your parents and of course, we missed you at Christmas, but glad you had some human interaction there over this holiest of holidays. I have to say, it felt odd here, not having all of our kids around and doing the traditional type of things we did for so many years while you were growing up. But, this is our life now, as you have yours, too, and we have to be adaptable. Thanks to techology, we can comm in ways we never used to have, eg. Skype. We just talked to your Uncle Mike tonight after he loaded up skype....new to him!
    You'll always be in our hearts back here in CA.....
    Love;
    Dad

    ReplyDelete