19 July 2009

Top 5...

It's been floating around for about 6 months now...you know, that "Top 5" application on Facebook. You can rate your top 5 beers, your top 5 things that start with the same letter as your name, your top 5 people you do not want to see standing at the foot of your bed...and on and on.


I usually am not involved in this annoyance, but recently, I came across the Top 5 Countries I want to visit. This got me thinking...what are MY top 5?


As I pondered, I realised there is no WAY I could create a top 5. So I am coming here today to do a stream-of-conscious written list...let's see how many I pick out. And then from there, let's see if it is possible for me to create a Top 5 or 6 or 7 or 10...you get the picture.


Here we go:
  • DRC
  • Cuba
  • New Zealand
  • Russia
  • Lebanon
  • Vietnam
  • Peru
  • Ecuador
  • Morocco
  • Rwanda
  • Iran
  • Pakistan
  • China, particularly Tibet
  • Thailand
  • Romania, specifically Transylvania
  • Sweden
  • Italy
  • Argentina
  • Costa Rica
Ok, let's stop there. I did that all in about 2 minutes...just went around the globe in my head. And came up with 19. Now comes the narrowing down bit. For which I will have to name reasons.
1) Has to be the Democratic Republic of the Congo. My heart has been there for so long - from the horrible situation of the people, to the plight of the gorillas, to the beauty of the rainforest, to the fact that they speak French there (along with other tribal languages of course) - this country has it all for me. One day.
*Credit to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Congo_maluku.jpg
2) I think I have to go with China, particularly Tibet. This is because China is not just China, but also includes a number of areas (that may or may not have been their own autonomous countries at one point or another) that I would like to visit. Tibet for the mountains, poverty and religiousity. Hong Kong for the skyline and innovation (not particularly for the polution though). Taiwan to visit our favourite foreign exchange student growing up - and her family. And then of course, there is the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, and the normal "Chinese" tourist activities, including walking in rice paddies.
3) Morocco. I have heard that the beauty of this desert country is staggering. More pluses include the markets, or souks, the bedouin culture, Arabic language, and the camels. Don't even get me started on the camels!
4) I have to throw a "Western" nation in here, so that has got to be New Zealand...even though it's in the south-eastern hemisphere...lol. The reasons for this are similar to many other countries: beauty between the mountains and sea, laid-back culture, 10 sheep to 1 Kiwi - and even the fact that they are known as Kiwis adds to my reasons, penguins in the south, and its renowned Extreme activities - skydiving being the one I am particularly interested in. I know I will get to this country eventually, even if I have to wait until retirement to do it.
* Photo Recognition goes to: http://blandforddailyphoto.blogspot.com/
5) For the last spot in my top 5, I have to go with Peru. I want to get to South America at one point or another and Peru is the country at the top of that list almost solely for 1 reason: Macchu Pichu. The hike to and from this wonder of the world is glorious (from what I have heard) but what you see at the top is the creme-de-la-creme of history. I want to walk in one of the oldest places of humanity in the western hemisphere. And then of course there are the Alpacas.
Wow. I am impressed I was able to narrow it down. Wish me luck on my quest to visit my top 19, and my top 5 in particular!

No comments:

Post a Comment